Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nole on a Mission and Indian Wells

Undefeated in 2011? Oh, yeah.

Nole was hot. I mean, he usually is, but 12-0 in the 2011 season? Winning the last 4 games after being down 3-1 in the second? And all of this against the one and only Fed.
But Dubai is over now. Vera won Doha (she beat Caro, the wall!), so that's done too. Delray Beach and Acapulco will be over soon. And all that's on my mind is Indian Wells.

I think that Indian Wells is the first non-slam tournament that I knew existed around the age of 12. It is the tournament that I long to go to. Maybe it's because it's 30-something degrees in New York and all I want is to be in a warm place, or because Maria made her long awaited comeback there by playing doubles with Vesnina in 2009, but it's also the entire atmosphere. Indian Wells' practice courts, that giant field where players do drills, play soccer, and run, and the location all make it this place in my mind that is equivalent to tennis perfection. I mean, it's so green. And the fans sit right on those stairs on the practice courts. A promise to myself-I'm going there ASAP.

IW Pictures are from thedoublebagel (that lucky duck).

No comments:

Post a Comment